Saturday, July 19, 2008

Filipina Women Are Amazing!

I just got back from my second birth room shift where I saw 2 more births. I cannot explain to you in words how amazing Filipina women are at giving birth. Even in the hospitals here there are no pain relievers (according to another midwife).

I have had 2 babies, and one completely without any drugs. It is HARD work. Most of these women coming into the clinic in labor that I have seen act like it is nothing at all to give birth. With the 5 births I have observed so far down here, there is only 1 birth where I saw the mom wanting some comfort and guidance of breathing during her contractions. With the other births I didn't hear much from them until it was time to push.

One mother today was getting ready to give birth to her 3rd baby and one of the midwives asked me to sit in the room with her just in case she started to push and a baby was visible! So, I sat there and she was just smiling away in between contractions at me. Then, she got a look of concentration and started pushing on the birthing stool. I called the midwife in and she took a look and within a matter of minutes the head was visible! "Way to go, mom!" was all I could think. Oh! And her bana (husband) had not even arrived at the clinic yet! She ended up having her baby before her husband got there. So, she pretty much did it all on her own.

After only being here for 4 days it's so easy to see that no meds should really be the norm because women's bodies are really made for this!

No comments: