Thursday, July 17, 2008

Day 1...Busy Day!!


The pictures you see above and below are of me in the clinic yesterday evening after being awake for 36 hours! I got to "babysit" one of the newborns whose mommy had to be transported due to a 4th degree tear. It was hard to get a good picture of his precious face because he kept turning toward me wanting to nurse! He is a very beautiful boy and I believe his mother is doing fine.


The first thing I did this morning after talking with Pete on Google Talk was go over and observe prenatals. This is a picture of one of the midwifery students, Holli, doing a prenatal on a very sweet mother who was pregnant with her 6th baby! She really wants a girl because she has 1 girl and 4 boys. She is 31 weeks today. After the prenatal exam, we pray with each mother.


After prenatals, Jennel, one of the midwifery students from Lyberia, Africa, took me all around Davao. She's an MK (missionary kid) and so even though she is American, so grew up in Africa, and it was fun talking with her about how I thought the driving in Davao is absolutely crazy. What a cultural experience my outing was!! We rode a jeepney to the mall which is a van with an open back you climb into. It's simply just how everyone gets around here in the city. They are just like taxis, but they are jeepneys. We went to the mall you see on your left and it was air conditioned!! I loved being in there simply for the AC! Then we walked from the mall to some other shops wear tourists frequent. Everything here is SUPER cheap. If you want me to get you anything please email me! They have genuine pearls here for like $3 for a bracelet or $5 for a necklace. The pollution from the cars is really bad here. Most people walk around with a handkerchief covering their mouths while they are in traffic.



After my outing around Davao, I came back and had lunch with Naomi and Chad and she talked to me about what being in the program at New Life is like from a mother's perspective. Then I went and shadowed at the clinic during swing shift from 2-6. We had 3 births back to back! I'll write more about that experience tomorrow. It's 8pm here and I'm still catching up with sleep so I'm off to bed! Hope you are well wherever you are!
Posted by Picasa

1 comment:

Peter Davis said...

Wow, great pictures! It's nice to see you! I can't imagine what adventures you're going to have over the next two weeks if this was just the first day! I know it's hard to keep the laptop charged since there's only one outlet in the dorm that will fit your power chord, so thanks for working hard to keep everyone updated! Love you and miss you!