Friday, February 06, 2009

A beautiful mess



My sister, Rosie, and her husband and baby are coming to Charlotte to visit us for the weekend. I realized how there was absolutely nothing to eat, so off to Trader Joe's I went with the girls in toe this morning.

When I arrived home from all of our errand-running, all I saw was a mess. The dishwasher needed unstacking, the counters were full of breakfast cereal dishes, and I could hardly see the counter tops. With each step I took, I could feel crumbs beneath my feet, reminding me that our floors needed some desperate attention. But, it all had to wait, of course: the girls were hungry, mommy was hungry, and there was a beautiful day outside beckoning us to come and play.

While making lunches, I saw this beautiful little "mess" which was surrounded by other papers and dishes. I looked at it, and it made me smile.

Some new fabric and ribbon just came in the mail, and on top of it lay a little infant hat in-the-making (my very first knitting project, thanks to Amanda Soule). Kyla chose some pink tulips at Trader Joe's, and the sight of them made me happy all day long--I'm really looking forward to spring, but trying to still savor the winter.

This was my oasis for the day in the midst of household clutter :-)

Oh, and the house did get cleaned after lunches, after playing, and during naps. Having fresh flowers always give me an inspiration to clean, to make everything look fresher and newer, just like spring.


No comments: